These are chat archives for reactioncommerce/reaction

23rd
May 2019
Rajan Tiwari
@trojanh
May 23 06:54
Hi all, I was wondering how do you all setup reaction for production, @loan-laux suggested
building the Docker images for both the backend and the storefront, and then deploying them in a Docker cluster, which is a good way to go but how do you all do it as there is no suggested way to do this in Reaction docs.
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 06:55
@trojanh Indeed there are no docs for production deployment for now. The way to go highly depends on what environment you want to deploy to. What are you using?
Rajan Tiwari
@trojanh
May 23 06:56
I am using digital ocean right now
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 06:57
So are you setting up a Docker Swarm with something like Portainer? What are you using or planning to use to manage your containers?
Rajan Tiwari
@trojanh
May 23 06:57
yeah we have Portainer setup
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 06:59
Cool! Then your next steps would be:
  1. Build your Docker images: docker build -t <image_name>:latest
  2. Upload them to a repository, like Docker Hub
  3. Use the repository URL with your preferred tag in your Portainer deployment config
  4. Pass all the required environment variables (the .env files are good to understand what's needed there)
All in all, it's more of a Portainer-specific thing. You're deploying a Docker image like any other else and you only need to pass your env vars.
@trojanh Sending my AWS ECS task definitions over. Shouldn't be too hard to translate into Portainer terms.
Rajan Tiwari
@trojanh
May 23 07:02
sure @loan-laux thanks, this makes sense
We will also be using AWS later so that will help us.
is there any chance that Reaction team will add these steps in docs any time soon?
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 07:11
Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.02.56.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.03.32.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.02.33.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.03.45.png
Hope this help, @trojanh. It's not a real production deployment (we don't host our clients) so it's missing a couple of env variables here and there, and the secrets are still changeme. But I think it's still good resource for you to see what the whole suite looks like on ECS.
@trojanh On official docs for production deployments, as I said it really depends on which environment you're deploying to. Some people will use barebones Kubernetes, some will add Rancher on top, some will use a Docker Swarm with Portainer, some others will use ECS or some other Docker as a Service... So it's hard to pick one and make docs out of it, while leaving the rest behind.
Rajan Tiwari
@trojanh
May 23 07:19
TYSM @loan-laux that was of immense help
and though I agree with what you just about using different ways of deploying, Reaction team should document how they do it, which is by using .reaction setup which you pointed earlier.
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 07:23
Agreed, and I'm sure that's coming. As 2.0 is still in release candidate, I'd be surprised not to see this documented when it hits stable.
Rajan Tiwari
@trojanh
May 23 07:25
just out of curiosity do we have any estimates on 2.0 release?
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 07:26
No idea. I'm expecting it to take a couple of months from now at most, but that's my own perception and in no way is it an official number. You'd have to ask the Reaction team about this.
reg-codeswop
@reg-codeswop
May 23 10:45
Is the swagger demo shop still online somewhere?
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 11:24
@reg-codeswop No, it's been taken down.
lncls
@lncls
May 23 12:41
Is there any chance that the core dev team will tell us about plans and progress of v2 development?
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 12:53
@lncls I suppose you'd have to ask someone like @spencern.
lncls
@lncls
May 23 13:30
@loan-laux Thanks!
Vadym Vorobel
@vadym-vorobel
May 23 14:14
Hello! Does anyone have an example of successfully implemented S3 integration with Reaction?
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 14:47
@vadym-vorobel I wrote this plugin that hasn't been maintained for a while. But I'm planning to resurect it soon. https://github.com/reaction-contrib/reaction-file-collections-sa-s3
I'd say stay tuned for updates in the next weeks. If you can't wait, it may still be a good base for you to fork it.
Vadym Vorobel
@vadym-vorobel
May 23 15:00
@loan-laux I've tried to use your plugin but with no success. I've replaced GridFSStore withS3Store and started getting errors from TempFileStoreWorker, something like this: TempFileStoreWorker can't create a write stream. I will try to dive deeper into this issue
Loan Laux
@loan-laux
May 23 15:01
Yeah, it does need a big refactor. I promised myself to get to it and I will. But if you really feel like working on it, feel free to submit PRs!
ashwinsoni
@ashwinsoni
May 23 18:52

While working on creating a new reaction plugin, facing little difficulty in debugging it as it does not hot reload the plugin changes and have to restart the container manually to make it happen inspite of volume mounted.

Are there any ninja technique to debug a plugin?

or should i try with this https://blog.reactioncommerce.com/better-debugging-in-reaction/ ?