Feb 2015
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 11 2015 13:56
nice
Justas Ažna
@reederz
Feb 11 2015 14:05
I'm working on something else today. I'll be back to this tomorrow. I spoke to Joachim yesterday, and we came to realization that the frontend people which we are talking to right now don't have scala-js knowledge and probably won't have time to acquire it. Given that, would it be a good idea to start thinking of a client library which they could use? It would be written in scalajs and contain graph store, web client and other necessary things.
frontenders could then take the client library and use it in their javascript code
Perhaps you already thought of this and have some suggestions for the client library interface?
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 11 2015 14:08
Many front-end guys, esp. without other then JS background are used to think differently than back-end folks
Justas Ažna
@reederz
Feb 11 2015 14:09
I tend to forget that
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 11 2015 14:13
I think it makes more sence to make scalajs version working more or less good, and only then - think about javascript interfaces. Maybe it will require some extra work, as it is not only about @JSExport but also about the ways people are coding. In JS world there are many crazy ways of working with libraries (incl. monkey-pathing, prototype changing and so on) so it may require to create special classes to make their wok more comfortable
It is like with Play framework, play has special Java interfaces, alghough theyare written in Scala, they are optimized for Java way of dealing with code
Justas Ažna
@reederz
Feb 11 2015 14:23
you talk sense. But in our project (jolocom, not RWW), time is a factor. We want to start discussing stuff with frontend people smth like 2-3 weeks from now. So I'd lower the bar and say that it would be enough for us to have the scalajs stuff simply working for our usecase (as opposed to "more or less good").
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 11 2015 14:24
what is jolocom?
I have not heard about it, could you describe it?
Justas Ažna
@reederz
Feb 11 2015 14:43

well, as a project, we still are in early stages and there is nothing that you can test yet- just the concept. We are building a decentralized social network with focus on data management (still working on a better description). It will enable people to index/tag/manage their daily generated social and other data with terms from RDF ontologies. This indexed data can then be utilized in numerous ways e.g. search, linking, collectively pooling data with other people to power some research, etc.

Basically, we want to revert data ownership, make decentralized social web more attractive, break silos, etc. I guess many other people in this community have similar causes.

Long story short, we found that we could really use stuff from RWW and that's why we're collaborating.

At the moment, we're building a prototype which we then hope to showcase to VCs in the end of March.
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 11 2015 15:50
Can I see the code?
Justas Ažna
@reederz
Feb 11 2015 15:53
It is going to be on https://github.com/jolocom/ . However, at the moment, we don't have anything other than read-write-web forks there. This should change soon.
Justas Ažna
@reederz
Feb 11 2015 15:59
more general disclaimer about myself: I'm actually a Python guy for the most part. I've only been learning Scala since 2014 November.