These are chat archives for read-write-web/chat

21st
Feb 2015
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 21 2015 00:17
@bblfish thanks for description! Esp. I like several starting paragraphs. Regarding organizations, I can try to involve one or two from biological/bionformatics side. In biology/bionformaticss semantic-web is widely used (esp. ontologies), and large webresources like NCBI, GO, EBI are popular, in the same time there is a HUGE (thousands) number of small databases and webservices produced by many small laboratories. There is an opportunity of integrating this data in a decentralized fashion, we can also involve there not only academic but also biohackers community.
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 10:16
@antonkulaga the biohackers community is the one to go for I think for this type of call.
ah thanks @jmvanel , might be good to add that link to the bug report
Jean-Marc Vanel
@jmvanel
Feb 21 2015 10:30
yeah, DONE
Jean-Marc Vanel
@jmvanel
Feb 21 2015 10:38
@bblfish ; Im' not religious, but scala.MatchError is kind of a sin ;)
refering to read-write-web/rww-play#138
Jean-Marc Vanel
@jmvanel
Feb 21 2015 10:44
and I commited it more than once :smile:
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 21 2015 11:11
@bblfish just in case I am leader of ukranian biohackers
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 11:12
ah ok. That’s good then. How big is that group?
Do you also have links to other EU groups of that nature?
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 21 2015 11:12
Actually it is very small. I would rather prefer to go with another group
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 11:16
ok. We have some contact in CCC, but they are very grassroots and timid to join officially.
quite skeptical about EU
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 21 2015 11:17
I want to add International Longevity Alliance
Not only because it is registered in Paris and I am in the board=) but also because we are an umbrella organization and represent interests of aging researchers, longevity activists and transhumanists and we have organizations all around the world as membmers
For instance we organized Longevity day celebration in more then 35 countries
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 11:20
ok, on the other hand the problem is that we have too many French organisations already
but I’ll keep that in mind.
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 21 2015 11:21
We chose France because it was easy to register
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 11:21
because things are quite chaotic.
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 21 2015 11:22
But in fact we are an umbrella organization, we have organizations all over the world who are members: US, Russia, Israel, Belgium and so on
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 11:23
Next week in Paris there is a CAPS meeting. I’ll be able to ask someone there if that fits. Just send me the details of the organisation. Perhaps we can meet the French people there.
But I think we should already get everyone involved her and in banana-rdf to also present ourselves as one open source group.
Anton Kulaga
@antonkulaga
Feb 21 2015 11:25
What about adding syntetic biology guys? They have iGEM/biobricks community and actively using semantic web, @drdozer is one of them
InTheNow
@InTheNow
Feb 21 2015 11:31
hehe
@InTheNow Self censored himself
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 11:37
Those are good ideas. Now the real quesiton is how far we need to move outside of the scientific community. I need to read the proposal again
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 12:24
@antonkulaga mail me those links to henry.story@bblfish.net please :-) It will help to work to have many options here.
Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 12:34
This is important CAPS link

Pilots should be user-driven, involving existing communities of people, and possibly addressing a combination of sustainability areas. Participants should include not only industry and academia but also local communities, grassroots activists, hackers, social entrepreneurs, students, citizens, creative industries and civil society organisations.

Consortia are expected to be multidisciplinary in nature: participation of at least two entities from domains different than ICT technologies (e.g. social sciences, psychology, economy, art, etc.) is required.

Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 12:42
I suppose living longer is a sustainability problem, but it is not usually thought of that way :-)

From the book Collective Awareness Platforms for Sustainability and Social Innovation: An Introduction

The first of the societal challenges the EC is focusing on with the action of CAPS
is sustainability, originally understood as centring attention on the environment as a biological system that is able to endure and remain diverse. The issue at stake is to maintain a viable environment now and into the future through a wide array of practices that support reduction of well-known ecological problems, like energy and water consumption, land use, etc. The concept of sustainability has been extended, however, to include social and economic sustainability as a necessity for assuring future generations a quality of life that is at least comparable to the one available now.

Henry Story
@bblfish
Feb 21 2015 12:51
As an open source project working on co-operation we are definitively helping sustainability, because we aim to incrase the ability of people to work together