3rd
Mar 2016
Dominik Kukacka
@dominikkukacka
Mar 03 2016 07:46
Andrei Gherzan
@agherzan
Mar 03 2016 11:27
@dominikkukacka do you mean that rpi3 doesn't support rpi2 build?
Dominik Kukacka
@dominikkukacka
Mar 03 2016 11:35
@agherzan i guess, since its ARMv8
Andrei Gherzan
@agherzan
Mar 03 2016 11:42
Indeed it is. From the ABI and pinouts it would support but there were incompatibilities at the level of BSP between RPI1 and RPI2 too. For example RPI1's bootloader was looking for kernel as named kernel.img while RPI2 was looking for a filename called kernel7.img. Most probably now they search for kernel8.img. So this mean that we will have to handle this in our builds separately. But what they mean in the picture is that application-wise they support all the versions. @dominikkukacka
Alexandros Marinos
@alexandrosm
Mar 03 2016 14:15
when we wrote that the rpi3 didn't exist
hopefully we'll get the rpi3 working soon to get this to be literally correct again :D
Juan Cruz Viotti
@jviotti
Mar 03 2016 15:34
I’ve sent a PR for the CLI “Not Authorized” error in resin-request: resin-io/resin-request#55
Daniel Mahon
@danielmahon
Mar 03 2016 17:14
Hey all, been messing with https://github.com/resin-io-projects/electron-rpi-quick-start, seems to be working fine, however the performance is a problem, 5+ seconds to load a simple html page between clicks. Thoughts for optimizing on a Raspi2?
Theodor Gherzan
@telphan
Mar 03 2016 17:37
This message was deleted
Dominik Kukacka
@dominikkukacka
Mar 03 2016 17:38
@agherzan thanks for explaining!!
@alexandrosm yeah i know that :smile: i got my shipping confirmation today.
Theodor Gherzan
@telphan
Mar 03 2016 17:39

I want to announce a bit of work that is happening in our London office right now. The Raspberrypi 3 is just about to hit the resin world. Follow updates here. #raspberrypi3

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1920x1280/a_c/25255898046_bf32f5aa51_k.jpg

Alexandros Marinos
@alexandrosm
Mar 03 2016 17:59
awesome @telphan! keep us up to date as you go :D
Dominik Kukacka
@dominikkukacka
Mar 03 2016 18:51
@telphan awesome! keep us posted :smiley:
Craig Mulligan
@craig-mulligan
Mar 03 2016 19:29
@danielmahon, thats strange could you drop a link to your repo?
Shaun Mulligan
@shaunmulligan
Mar 03 2016 19:33
@craig-mulligan maybe Carlo can help here? they do a lot of electron stuff
Craig Mulligan
@craig-mulligan
Mar 03 2016 19:36
@danielmahon snappin.io just open sourced their resin-electron boilerplate it's far better maintain(they use it in production). It also uses fluxbox which is a lighter windows manager which may mitigate the issues you mentioned. :) Here is the code: https://github.com/fwrgit/resin-electronjs
@shaunmulligan ^ carlo just made his boilerplate public we should retire ours and point to his.
Theodor Gherzan
@telphan
Mar 03 2016 19:42
Good news on the Raspberypi 3 work. Board just booted our beautiful operating system. Next up: On board wifi connection.
Daniel Mahon
@danielmahon
Mar 03 2016 19:42
@craig-mulligan Woohoo! Great resource, I will definitely check it out. Thanks again guys!
Craig Mulligan
@craig-mulligan
Mar 03 2016 19:43
@danielmahon no problem, let us know how it goes :smile:
@telphan nicccce! :clap: :clap:
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 20:36
@danielmahon hey there! feel free to ask or open an issue while digging https://github.com/fwrgit/resin-electronjs
Shaun Mulligan
@shaunmulligan
Mar 03 2016 21:02
hey @curcuz I have a stupid question, does the URL_LAUNCHER_NODE variable allow you to enable or disable the use of nodejs modules in window view JS?
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 21:03
@shaunmulligan yup, that's extremely useful for client-side js libraries that get "confused" about window context under nodejs, i.e. jQuery
so if you're just deploying a web-app you can avoid tricks to include them
@shaunmulligan atom/electron#254
Shaun Mulligan
@shaunmulligan
Mar 03 2016 21:26
@curcuz awesome, makes sense...have you guys played around with reactjs + electron on the Pi at all?
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 21:27
@shaunmulligan yup, we actually deployed the very first reactjs application for a customer a couple of months ago
@shaunmulligan we are focused on angularjs as main
Shaun Mulligan
@shaunmulligan
Mar 03 2016 21:31
nice, I'm looking to setup a nice React + coffeescript + electron boilerplate app for a project I want to build
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 21:34
@shaunmulligan We are very happy with typescript + angular2 + electron :smile:
we’ll release a resin boilerplate for that too
Daniel Mahon
@danielmahon
Mar 03 2016 21:35
@curcuz I was able to migrate my app to your boilerplate which is currently just a static site, still getting poor performance, but I have a feeling thats because its a static app with full page loads. Been looking at https://github.com/reactjs/react-magic to help.
We were using a kweb install and it seems to get better performance with static pages. No flashing, quicker loads.
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 21:37
@danielmahon do you use any html5 media tags in your app? anyways, i strongly suggest you to develop the app as a local electronjs application. I can have a look at your repo if it’s public
@danielmahon sorry i’ve been too generic - by “local” i mean integrated in the resin application, not loaded via http
Daniel Mahon
@danielmahon
Mar 03 2016 21:43
@curcuz not public at the moment, the problem is they are Adboe Muse sites, being created by non-coders...
@curcuz everything is local in the repo
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 21:47
@danielmahon i see. That’s a no way for optimized UX on embedded devices imho. The way Muse generates code is very far from satisfying :worried:
Daniel Mahon
@danielmahon
Mar 03 2016 21:49
@curcuz yea…tell me about it…haha…I think if I get get react-magic to work, it might stand a chance as it would only have to load assets once, and the site can still be natively exported from Muse
@curcuz side note on video, are you playing directly in electron or using omxplayer?
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 21:52
@danielmahon we developed our own wrapper for native functionalities like framebuffer video via omxplayer. A “community” edition of the SDK that happen to expose that wrapper is under development and will be open-sourced soon
Daniel Mahon
@danielmahon
Mar 03 2016 21:54
@curcuz awesome!
@curcuz while I have your ear, any experience with running processing (processing.org) on a Pi, Ive got another project where the Pi is runninga processing sketch and outputing to a large led matrix wall. Working reasonably well, just trying to optimize performance more...
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 22:02
@danielmahon sadly no experience on that, sorry! we are experimenting with webgl + alpha hw accelerated drivers https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/another-new-raspbian-release/ (the “one more thing” part)
but it’s more glitches than success at the moment
Shaun Mulligan
@shaunmulligan
Mar 03 2016 22:04
@curcuz you might need some kernel adjustments if you are playing around with the alpha drivers on resinOS, there are some issues with GPU and containers :/
Daniel Mahon
@danielmahon
Mar 03 2016 22:04
@curcuz ooOOooh, thanks
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 22:07
@shaunmulligan we applied the philosophy that it has to first work on vanilla raspbian, then try on resin. And right now it doesn’t even work with vanilla raspbian :laughing:
Alexandros Marinos
@alexandrosm
Mar 03 2016 22:13
@curcuz the problem is general for the rpi
I mean if you use containers and EGL
if you're on vanilla raspbian, youre ok
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 22:15
@alexandrosm we just approach experiments this way: vanilla -> dockerized -> resinified. With that, we just started the first step :smile:
it’s easier to catch at which levels bad things happen
but i’m talking about very specific and extreme edge-cases
Alexandros Marinos
@alexandrosm
Mar 03 2016 22:23
@curcuz in that case you'll hit the pain in step 2
we have a modded kernel we can send you, but we're working to get the patch upstream
Carlo Maria Curinga
@curcuz
Mar 03 2016 22:30
@alexandrosm thanks, will ask for that if the first experiments end up being interesting :neckbeard:
interested instead about early access to the rpi3 booting resinOS :smile:
Alexandros Marinos
@alexandrosm
Mar 03 2016 22:35
@telphan can tell you more about that :)