These are chat archives for resin-io/chat

23rd
Dec 2016
Craig Mulligan
@craig-mulligan
Dec 23 2016 07:42
@FransvanHoogstraten, Awesome! no new developments unfortunately, but would be happy to jump back into it if it has real use cases :)
Søren Krabbe
@sorenkrabbe
Dec 23 2016 08:39
@FransvanHoogstraten we used the guide to get started with prometheus monitoring of our resin.io fleet a few months ago. It was great for that. Key challenge was getting into the mindset of prometheus when we wanted to extend the monitoring to include more application specific metrics.
Craig Mulligan
@craig-mulligan
Dec 23 2016 08:48
@sorenkrabbe Yea you'd have to create your own client and then use the spare 8080 device url to host it. Found this https://github.com/siimon/prom-client so might give it a whirl
Søren Krabbe
@sorenkrabbe
Dec 23 2016 08:56
@craig-mulligan right. We already had a reverse SSH tunnel to a central server to host a device node app, so we simply used that. What I was refering to about the "prometheus mindset" is about accepting the idea about not pushing key events from the device to prometheus but rather present a current state and let prometheus scrape it when he likes.
Craig Mulligan
@craig-mulligan
Dec 23 2016 09:01
yea it's a different model, but quite nice in that it makes device/client code slightly simpler.
Well it should, still need to try it :)
Søren Krabbe
@sorenkrabbe
Dec 23 2016 09:02
Sure. Once I grasped the idea, I really embrace it... just saying that getting there was a little frustrating :)
Linus Casassa
@lcasassa
Dec 23 2016 12:21
Hi, I'm getting this error: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'bcm2835_v4l2': No such device
on image FROM resin/%%RESIN_MACHINE_NAME%%-python -> raspbery pi 3
resin/raspberrypi3-python
does anyone know what I am missing?
will try with RESIN_HOST_CONFIG_gpu_mem to 128 and RESIN_HOST_CONFIG_start_x to 1
Linus Casassa
@lcasassa
Dec 23 2016 12:37
yep, that did the trick :)
I had to restart the application so that it can update the config.txt
Gergely Imreh
@imrehg
Dec 23 2016 12:38
Hm, the config.txt should be automatically updated when you change those vars, as far as I know
Linus Casassa
@lcasassa
interesting, maybe I was impatient
:P
Gergely Imreh
@imrehg
Yeah, happens ^___^
Linus Casassa
@lcasassa
Dec 23 2016 13:14
how do I redo the docker image? I did a ssh to the devices and I am seeing old files in the docker