These are chat archives for resin-io/chat

16th
Jun 2017
Jim Cramer
@jcramer
Jun 16 2017 01:19
hi resin newb here... is it possible to docker run bash on a base image container?
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 16 2017 01:26
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] hey @jcramer mind giving a bit more detail? if your base image contains bash, you can certainly run a bash command from your dockerfile
Jim Cramer
@jcramer
Jun 16 2017 02:01
I was hoping to create my own base image interactively using "-it" option FROM the resin/raspian image. That way I wouldn't need to create a huge dockerfile needed in order to get opencv and all my other dependencies.
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 16 2017 02:05
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] well, you'd still end up with a large container
Jim Cramer
@jcramer
Jun 16 2017 02:09
ok. so docker run with option -it or -I -t doesn't work?
-i -t
Jim Cramer
@jcramer
Jun 16 2017 02:16
to clarify further... My thought was to build up a container interactively, then save or export the container as an image to be used as my base image.
Sasha Hilton
@sashahilton00
Jun 16 2017 14:51
@alisondavis17 great, thanks :)
Sasha Hilton
@sashahilton00
Jun 16 2017 15:05
With regards to things like resin ssh [uuid] and public urls, it is my understanding that these use vpn and reverse proxying services separate from the main resin.io server. Will these also be included in the open source release? From what I have read, the aim is to have an open source resin.io that is easy to setup, in which case are the extra vpn/proxyig components going to be provided separately so that those who wish to add this functionality to their server are able to do so if they are willing to take on a bit more management responsibility?
Adnan Chowdhury
@bttf
Jun 16 2017 17:12
is yarn included on resin imgs or do we need to install it?
Kimmo Huoman
@kipe
Jun 16 2017 17:49
I doubt it, as resin images are typically very minimal
Page-
@Page-
Jun 16 2017 17:51
it isn't included by default
resin-io-library/base-images#206
we looked at it after yarn had just been release but it would add significant size to our base images by default, even for those not using it -
you can add it yourself though with a RUN npm install -g yarn && npm cache clean command at the top of your dockerfile
Vijay Sharma
@Eulerianial
Jun 16 2017 23:11
Hello friends, I am just starting with resin and IoT projects. I prepared a SD card with resin.img and powered the RP-3 (Model-B). But how do I connect my RP-3 with internet. I want to connect it with wifi. All the tutorials on the web are saying about LXTerminal and stuff but I only have resin.os img in my SD card and not sure how to go about from here.
Page-
@Page-
Jun 16 2017 23:36
hey @Eulerianial what program did you use to write the image to your sd card? Also did you download the resin image from dashboard.resin.io or elsewhere?