These are chat archives for resin-io/chat

20th
Jun 2017
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 20 2017 02:29
[Florin-Ionut Sarbu (floion)] @dagrooms52 what is the other hack you have found?
JP Meijers
@jpmeijers
Jun 20 2017 08:35
@alexandrosm I meant without running my own server. I saw this post where a guy used Cayenne to monitor his Raspberry Pi. I am looking for a similar simple dashboard to monitor basic system stats for my resin.io devices, without having to run my own server. Using Cayenne is one option, but I was looking for an alternative. I am indeed investigating Prometheus too, but then I need to somehow run it, with grafana, on the resin.io device in a persistent manner.
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 20 2017 12:38
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] @jpmeijers I see. I don't have many ideas. Maybe @shaunmulligan @craig-mulligan or @imrehg have some?
Craig Mulligan
@craig-mulligan
Jun 20 2017 12:47
@jpmeijers, the blog post Alex mentioned runs prometheus on all devices and sends them to a central server running Grafana, if you want to host run prometheus and host grafana on the same device you could start with https://resin.io/blog/monitoring-linux-stats-with-prometheus-io/ and then add a grafana server.
josezuazo
@josezuazo
Jun 20 2017 13:16
Does anyone know if resin.io will continue to support the Intel Edison development boards after product EOF?
http://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/C5E58142-4E04-4CBD-A7A6-BF330573055D/PCN115579-00.pdf
Isaïe Trouffman Simonnet
@Trouffman
Jun 20 2017 21:18
Hey guys :) Is there a way to pass a config file that would define the ENV variable for the App to use ? (auto-provisionning and large fleet deployment)
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 20 2017 21:24
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] @trouffman you can set env vars on the app level via the ui or api -- can you give a bit more detail on the use case you have in mind and why something like that would work or not?
Isaïe Trouffman Simonnet
@Trouffman
Jun 20 2017 21:26
Got any doc for settigns this via the API ? basically we deploye a lot of device, each of them are assigned a special unique ID from the front end that allow us to identify them in the deployed app. -- I want to avoid having to unpack, pre-load - repack and jsut drop that unique identifier into a file or a variable :).
obviously a config file where you can defien all thoses variable would be nice :P so that could support basically any number of variable.
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 20 2017 21:29
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] though if you're preparing a large fleet, you should be in touch from someone on the resin team that can answer these directly. Do you have any links? Or perhaps I can connect you with someone?
Isaïe Trouffman Simonnet
@Trouffman
Jun 20 2017 21:30
I am reading this atm ;)
We are already in touch ;) jsut wondering if people did it another way int ecommunity :D
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 20 2017 21:31
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] ah :)
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] cool! nice to have community-level conversations
Isaïe Trouffman Simonnet
@Trouffman
Jun 20 2017 21:31
Always good ;) becasue the community is what drivemost of the project !
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 20 2017 21:32
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] what kind of project is it, if you can share?
Isaïe Trouffman Simonnet
@Trouffman
Jun 20 2017 21:33
Sure it is official we work on it now :) It is for our upcoming system : overlay.live :)
basically connected thrmoemeter / sensors for displaying into broadcast / video and streams
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 20 2017 21:39
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] nice!
Isaïe Trouffman Simonnet
@Trouffman
We publicly announced that we are using resin and supporting the project too.
resin.io team
@resinio
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] wow, awesome!
Isaïe Trouffman Simonnet
@Trouffman
Jun 20 2017 21:41
Alright I read throught the doc this is to pre-load - pre-configure resin.io apps :P which is one step above whate i am trying to simplify
what I want to do is to preload a config file that will later be used by the deployed app (ENV), which are not realted to resin directly
resin.io team
@resinio
Jun 20 2017 21:42
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] yeah, we want to automate more of that process, but for now it should simplify your life significantly
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] any reason not to put that in your container?
[Alexandros Marinos (alexandrosm)] or is it per-device data?