These are chat archives for resin-io/chat

11th
Jan 2018
resin.io team
@resinio
Jan 11 07:48
[Florin-Ionut Sarbu (floion)] @Maoie86 can you try this sample project? https://github.com/resin-io-projects/resin-python-hello-world
Philipp N├╝rnberger
@philippnbg
Jan 11 12:46

Hello resin folks :) I'm currently experiencing download problems with an raspi3 (ResinOS 1.24.1, supervisor 2.8.3)

11.01.18 13:44:08 (+0100) Failed to download application 'registry.resin.io/XXXXXXXXXXXX/b18fd2d2081e6fcd65c37a7506faadffc599d567' due to 'Error pulling image (latest) from registry.resin.io/XXXXXXXXXXXX/b18fd2d2081e6fcd65c37a7506faadffc599d567, HTTP code 400'

I'm afraid of rebooting the device :/

Yuli
@yulizhou
Jan 11 15:02
Hi @resinio , to change network at runtime, how to correctly export DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/host/run/dbus/system_bus_socket? Besides, what else modules should I install other than python-dbus? Thanks!
Dan H
@dhoney
Jan 11 15:04
@yulizhou In my experience you need NetworkManager and nmcli for command line, are your trying to run this with python only or is a shell script fine?
Yuli
@yulizhou
Jan 11 15:08
@dhoney As I read the doc, I guess they need this to be run in a Dockerfile, right? It's a device setting.
Dan H
@dhoney
Jan 11 15:12
@yulizhou Yes it's a device setting and needs to be set in the Dockerfile.
If you want, you could run it directly in the HostOS if you ssh in that way, but for your application you will need that export statement in your Dockerfile
@yulizhou I misspoke, its in your startup script
Not your Dockerfile, check the resin-wifi-conenct project as an example https://github.com/resin-io-playground/resin-avahi-dbus/blob/master/start.sh
In some cases if you are using nmcli for example, you will have to mask NetworkManager too, I do not think the resin-wifi-connect does this though as it's written in rust and it's calls are probably interfacing directly with dbus
Yuli
@yulizhou
Jan 11 15:16
Ok, got it. Thank you!
Jock Reed
@JockDaRock
Jan 11 17:29
Question here for resin.io folks
if I was going to have a custom board built but was using the same CPU architecture as the RPi, how would I go about having resin.io to be used with the custom board?
Gergely Imreh
@imrehg
Jan 11 18:01
Hi @JockDaRock we are working on "Generic" devices support, so you'll be able use that board e.g. as a "Generic ARM" device (or something similar, as the feature is still being worked on).
Besides that, you might need to add support for your board to resinOS. There is some information at https://resinos.io/docs/custombuild/ as well, and we are working on some more hands-on guides too for adding support for custom boards.
The project sounds interesting, though, would be interested to hear more what sort of thing are you building!
Paul Walton
@pablo_walton_twitter
Jan 11 18:48
Hi All, I have been having an issue running dnf on fedora:24 from my dockerfile - any dnf command seems to make it fail when pushed (update/upgrade/makecache) - I am building for an artik5 board - strangely when I build the container locally I see no issue, but when pushed to resin it fails with [Build] File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/dnf/rpm/__init__.py", line 92, in basearch [Build] return _BASEARCH_MAP[arch] [Build] KeyError: 'armv8l' - I am just wondering if this is a known issue, as I have been trying to resolve for around 48 hours now
Gergely Imreh
@imrehg
Jan 11 18:53

@pablo_walton_twitter sorry for the troubles. This might be because of the ARM builders we have different ARM architecture, and not masquerading well for the ARM type of artik5. We had something similar issues (in Python) for the Raspberry Pi as well, and we are investigating (does it look correct, @CameronDiver ?) The main thing is that Python seems to get the architecture of the system differently than other tools, which we have put in workaround for.

The local build succeeds because it is done with emulation. A current workaround is to do local build with the resin-cli and do resin deploy. That sidesteps the builder and just deploys the image you've built onto the device.

Does this help?

Paul Walton
@pablo_walton_twitter
Jan 11 18:53
@imrehg Yes, that helps immensely - thanks!
I did have a hint it was architecture-related with the error KeyError: 'armv8l'
Gergely Imreh
@imrehg
Jan 11 19:00
@pablo_walton_twitter just to confirm that it is indeed the builder-related guess, when you are pushing the image, what does it say near the beginning of the log, Building on ...?
Paul Walton
@pablo_walton_twitter
Jan 11 20:03
@imrehg Apologies - arm02
Gergely Imreh
@imrehg
Jan 11 20:07
yeah, that confirms the suspicion, then, it's the same issue. I've notified our team about it again, and the local build workaround would be our recommendation in the meantime.
Paul Walton
@pablo_walton_twitter
Jan 11 20:08
:thumbsup: Thanks Gergely
Gergely Imreh
@imrehg
Jan 11 20:13
Sure thing! :)
Jock Reed
@JockDaRock
Jan 11 20:19
@imrehg thank you for the response. I am building lots of things, but I am also teaching people how to benefit from resin use... that is one of the questions that came up... "How do I move from development boards (like Raspberry Pi and Beagle Bones) to manufactured/custom production boards with Resin?"