These are chat archives for resin-io/chat

12th
Jan 2018
Minh Nguyen
@SandPox
Jan 12 02:16
anyone has build custom image for their devices? somehow my custom built image doesn't connect to Resin Dashboard, I did copy the config.json in but all it show is "Post provisioning", the device booted after flash and able to connect to the internet though
resin.io team
@resinio
Jan 12 12:12
[Florin-Ionut Sarbu (floion)] @SandPox what device is this?
Minh Nguyen
@SandPox
Jan 12 12:12
ah, i've fixed that, when run ./resin-yocto-scripts/build/barys need to supply --resinio
the device is Beaglebone Blue, so now let's say my custom built image running custom kernel, how I'm going to update the kernel remotely? preferred resin.io Dashboard
resin.io team
@resinio
Jan 12 12:32
[Florin-Ionut Sarbu (floion)] your device would need to be supported by our hostOS update framework
[Florin-Ionut Sarbu (floion)] but have you tried the beaglebone black image first instead?
[Florin-Ionut Sarbu (floion)] the bb blue should work with beaglebone black image
Minh Nguyen
@SandPox
Jan 12 12:34
yes, it did work but i need RT kernel
resin.io team
@resinio
Jan 12 12:35
[Florin-Ionut Sarbu (floion)] @imrehg, can you please chime in and update with the current status and future work for resinhup on custom devices?
Minh Nguyen
@SandPox
Jan 12 12:37
so currently it's not able to remotely update custom kernel?
Gergely Imreh
@imrehg
Jan 12 12:40

@floion @SandPox so far the status is:

• flashing custom images requires some changes to the host OS updating scripts, but those are almost included. When that's done, will announce it and provide tutorial for it. This would be done through a command line script, run on the device.
  • we are just discussing internally custom device types and generic images, and updating them through the dashboard is part of the plan. It just takes some more work

So I would say that remote update with custom images is already possible but not well polished to be recommended yet, expecting it to be in a much better place by the end of the month or so. For the second, dashboard-based updates, that will take longer, but on our roadmap.

How does this sound?

Minh Nguyen
@SandPox
Jan 12 12:41
okay, good enough then... can I ask why we don't use RT kernel for BB by default?
resin.io team
@resinio
Jan 12 12:43
[Florin-Ionut Sarbu (floion)] this never came up until now; we've never had anyone asking for realtime kernel, I think that's the main reason
Minh Nguyen
@SandPox
Jan 12 12:48
because i'm use BB blue for robotic applications so RT kernel would make more sense than the non-rt one, plus the software i'm running require RT kernel