These are chat archives for rust-lang/rust

Jun 2016
Aditya Singh
@adiultra
Jun 07 2016 17:48
Hi I would like to know how much is rust beginner friendly. I have read a few tutorials, online examples and other stuff and I infer that either rust requires a nice programming background or I have been reading wrong stuff. Please correct me. If there exists a nice quide to Beginning Programming with Rust can you refer that. And, I have some experience with c++, but only little one. I don't till now undestand pointers etc. they will be covered later in my class. I was just learning rust since there have been lots of articles about it, And its speed.
Peter Atashian
@retep998
Jun 07 2016 19:19
@adiultra The most beginner friendly guide to Rust is probably http://doc.rust-lang.org/nightly/book/
Aditya Singh
@adiultra
Jun 07 2016 19:45
yes currently I am going through it, But just in case there was something I was missing out, something simple was available, as with Python there are many simple and beginner friendly books out there(may be due to its beginner friendly nature). I would stick to it then.
My prob with the docs is that it uses terms like macros and traits, for understanding that I have to hop here and there. Thus it distracts from thr initial thing taught, Thus I just get overwhelmed. Is there anything much linear?
Peter Atashian
@retep998
Jun 07 2016 19:53
Rust unfortunately does have a rather steep learning curve, and if you don't have much experience with other programming languages it can be quite difficult
Aditya Singh
@adiultra
Jun 07 2016 19:56
Can I then wait to get a good hand on c++ and then deal with rust? or I can with efforts learn it now?
I do think rust's doc needs reboot or it needs another beginner friendly guide
LeonineKing1199
@LeonineKing1199
Jun 07 2016 19:57
It seems to me that Rust and C++ share many concepts and ideas so if you're good at C++, coming to Rust will be fine.
C++ teaches you similar things such as ownership, lifetime, traits, etc.
Aditya Singh
@adiultra
Jun 07 2016 19:59
Well my c++ course limits to OOP stacks queues Arrays, Pointers etc. It doesn't to my knowledge use Vectors, Traits etc
I am XII student so may be I am aiming to high :smile:
LeonineKing1199
@LeonineKing1199
Jun 07 2016 20:02
Every C++ course ever is awful.
Aditya Singh
@adiultra
Jun 07 2016 20:04
yep, I learned most of my C++ from youtube's Bucky Tutorials. I therefore have time to dive into other langauges rather than lag down due to school's course.
Peter Atashian
@retep998
Jun 07 2016 20:04
lol Bucky
Aditya Singh
@adiultra
Jun 07 2016 20:04
And Every C++ book is wierder
Peter Atashian
@retep998
Jun 07 2016 20:04
I learned C++ through trying to write stuff in C++ and http://en.cppreference.com/w/
Aditya Singh
@adiultra
Jun 07 2016 20:05
yeah it's my reference cause I couldn't understandf the official one.
LeonineKing1199
@LeonineKing1199
Jun 07 2016 20:08
I recommend a forum for learning any programming language, in addition to teaching yourself.
That way you get to see myriad approaches using the same tool.
Aditya Singh
@adiultra
Jun 07 2016 20:11
Thanks :+1: , So i am going to donate time as I go along with c++. And will ask when in trouble
Also another Q, Which is for what: users.rust-lang.org, IRC #rust, Reddit /r/rust and this Gitter chat?
Peter Atashian
@retep998
Jun 07 2016 20:19
this Gitter is a quiet place where you go if you don't want to talk to a lot of people
reddit is where you go to announce cool stuff
IRC #rust is for every sort of small question and discussion
and users.rust-lang.org is for longer more in depth discussions that persist over time
Daniel Capo Sobral
@dcsobral
Jun 07 2016 22:55
It would be nice if there was a coursera course on Rust.
Hey, anyone here has taken a peek at Rust Essentials/Programming Rust?
Sean Perry
@shaleh
Jun 07 2016 23:43
Now that Rust is starting to solidify a course makes more sense