These are chat archives for sbt/sbt

21st
May 2015
eugene yokota
@eed3si9n
May 21 2015 01:51
@JohnMurray where do you intend to type the comment in?
if it's build.sbt Scala style comment should work
if it's from a bash script, bash style comment should work
eugene yokota
@eed3si9n
May 21 2015 08:47
based on at least one build that used to OOM, 97% of the graph.json stored by cached resolution is caller info
Dale Wijnand
@dwijnand
May 21 2015 21:41
Just throwing it out there, not sure if either of you want to chime in on the sbt chat in scala-user
I mean the scala-user ML
eugene yokota
@eed3si9n
May 21 2015 21:56
sbt is a difficult build tool to learn. some people have strong opinion on it.
not sure if me going there and defending it would really help
there's a book by Kathy Sierra called Badass: Making Users Awesome - http://www.amazon.com/Badass-Making-Awesome-Kathy-Sierra/dp/1491919019
in there she talks about The Suck Zone using snowboarding as an example
eugene yokota
@eed3si9n
May 21 2015 22:02
The Suck Zone is guaranteed pain for everyone learning to snowboard. But those who drop out early didn't suddenly lose their motivation to be a good snowboarder. They don't need more convincing about the features and benefits of snowboarding. They don't need a bigger, sexier forward-pulling magnet.
Dale Wijnand
@dwijnand
May 21 2015 22:18
interesting
eugene yokota
@eed3si9n
May 21 2015 22:20
that isn't to say we should sit on our ass and not help ppl, but telling ppl how good sbt is sometimes is the exact opposite of being effective
in other words, what sucks on the first day is sbt, not the users
som-snytt
@som-snytt
May 21 2015 22:27
FTR, I read sbt source to learn Scala, a few yrs ago. That was fun & educational. I got the whiff of unnecessary complexity, laid off, and keep meaning to get back to it, but haven't yet. Also FTR, I keep my daughter practicing piano b/c not practice makes perfect but b/c occasionally mind is blown. My opinion on mvn is that it survived version 1 because the need is so great. I think sbt offers more than mvn in typesafe config, but hasn't delivered on ease of use, where the DSL tells you what to do. My goal is never to consult the sbt "getting started" ever again.
eugene yokota
@eed3si9n
May 21 2015 22:29
@som-snytt what do you mean by never to consult the getting started guide?
do you think you should memorize all the facts, or just it's badly written?
Kathy Sierra's book also talks about practicing musical instruments, the way pros do it. really interesting book