These are chat archives for spring-cloud/spring-cloud

Apr 2016
pakizito
@pakizito
Apr 04 2016 12:20
Hi Guys, I have doubt that maybe here I'll find an answer. I have a single entry point from the internet to my services, then I want to have at least 2 services for redundancy for each service instance. But from the entry point from the internet to for example a zuul load balancer then the frontend, how can I loadbalance from the single point to the 2 zuuls? is there a best practice for that? apache? nginx? what would be the best option here?
when is planned date for the release 1.1.0 of spring cloud netflix?
Marcos Barbero
@marcosbarbero
Apr 04 2016 14:21
@pakizito it depends on your environment.
If you looks at Netflix Zuul wiki you’ll find out that they have an AWS ELB on top.
In my case I’ve a BigIP, but you can have nginx, apache, whatever you want.
pakizito
@pakizito
Apr 04 2016 16:21
thanks for the reply Marcos... will look into apache because we already have one installed... my environment is all linux vms installed by the client...
Julien
@Thaelvyn
Apr 04 2016 16:22
@pakizito I believe nginx pro does this out of the box (and is one of the advantages of using the pro version), I remember we found a free way to do it with nginx community edition, but I can't remember the name of the software we used for that
Marcos Barbero
@marcosbarbero
Apr 04 2016 17:11

Have anyone implemented any throttling strategy over zuul proxy? I’m trying something with ribbon properties but it doesn’t looks to take effect at all. I wrote the following configuration:

myservice.ribbon.MaxTotalConnections: 10

Anyone has an advice about how to implement throttling/load shedding through Zuul Proxy?

Thibaud Lepretre
@kakawait
Apr 04 2016 17:15
I didn't implement any thing but main problem with throttling is stateful in order to track "virtual" user. I think implenting throttling on Zuul does not differ from other throttling filter. You should keep state on persistence backend (redis?) And write your own Zuul pre filter.
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 04 2016 17:21
here’s a PR for rate limiting spring-cloud/spring-cloud-netflix#895
Marcos Barbero
@marcosbarbero
Apr 04 2016 17:24
That’s exactly what i’m looking for. @spencergibb Thank you.
Between, will it be available on Brixton RELEASE?
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 04 2016 17:27
Not sure
Marcos Barbero
@marcosbarbero
Apr 04 2016 17:34
@spencergibb I was taking a look in this PR and figured out it has just two global policies, wouldn’t be nice if it be accepting service specific policy configuration?
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 04 2016 17:34
I didn’t write the PR
Marcos Barbero
@marcosbarbero
Apr 04 2016 17:35
I know, it’s more about a discussion than a re-write.
Thibaud Lepretre
@kakawait
Apr 04 2016 17:42
Should extra features like throttling include on core package ? Maybe thinking about modular arch for Zuul extra filter ?
Or be part of Spring cloud security instead ?
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 04 2016 17:46
They could be part of a separate module in s-c-zuul.
Fabian Wallwitz
@cforce
Apr 04 2016 23:56
is there any example howto configure two regions/availability zones using failover and same region afffinity? Each region's client shall find its eureka servers in its region "automatically". Client must unstrument the dns server for that, because name an dort of the eureka in its config
if i set "use-dns-for-fetching-service-urls: true" .. what dns entry is required so that the client finds the correct service urls for all eureka server in its region?
Does it require to have a (sub)domain per region and its dedicated dns also?