These are chat archives for spring-cloud/spring-cloud

Apr 2016
Andreas Evers
@andreasevers
Apr 08 2016 11:31
Hey guys, our top management is asking for companies that are currently using Spring Cloud OSS or Netflix OSS. For Netflix we have the “powered by” page on their github.io page, but for Spring Cloud OSS we don’t have references.
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 08 2016 14:05
@andreasevers we don't have a page like that for OSS. For the commercial side, it's not public. I could put you in touch with someone though. Send me an email?
Dave Syer
@dsyer
Apr 08 2016 14:22
Or just follow @wattersjames on twitter
and/or @mattstine and/or @jambay
@ianandrewsdc
They all drop names all the time
David Welch
@dwelch2344
Apr 08 2016 15:33
Looking for strategies on i18n in microservices. Don't love the idea of each service handling it themselves, but maybe I just need to be on board with that... Or are people delegating to a i18n microservice?
Dave Syer
@dsyer
Apr 08 2016 15:38
Wouldn't all the data be local? A shared service seems kind of heavy to me.
David Welch
@dwelch2344
Apr 08 2016 15:51
Well, problem we face is that translations need to be updatable by the business. So do we write a std lib that each project uses to store traditional tokens in a db? or their own datasource? that's where the centralized source started to sound decent
One thing we've been mulling over is having a centralized service with a client lib that pulls them as needed and caches them, with the occasional polling of the svc to see if they need to bust their local cache
Dave Syer
@dsyer
Apr 08 2016 15:56
Spring Cloud Config Server would work
It could even be a standalone service just for i18n I guess
David Welch
@dwelch2344
Apr 08 2016 16:01
Yeah, was thinking that. Also was thinking Consul, but gets to be a lot of keys
Dave Syer
@dsyer
Apr 08 2016 16:03
There are probably loads of ways to get your business people in front of an editor for git content
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 08 2016 16:04
@dwelch2344 you could treat each consul key as a properties file. Mutliple properties per key
David Welch
@dwelch2344
Apr 08 2016 16:10
@dsyer yeah we had thought about that. @spencergibb but then will we be hammering on consul too much? I guess not since we could just watch for changes
Andreas Evers
@andreasevers
Apr 08 2016 16:54
Thanks @dsyer & @spencergibb, I'll send that email :)
David Welch
@dwelch2344
Apr 08 2016 16:55
shuttle looks cool. we're gonna toy with it a bit. there thoughts of integrating it with SpringCloud @spencergibb?
aka consume it I guess
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 08 2016 17:23
@dwelch2344 I’ve just looked at previously and your i18n comment reminded me.
Robert Van Voorhees
@voor
Apr 08 2016 17:29
Hey guys, just saw the gitter link in spring-cloud-build's open issues. Didn't even know about gitter before then! We've recently been deeply evaluating Spring Cloud (after a long love affair with Spring Boot and Netflix OSS -- it just seemed natural) -- hoping to give some feedback and become a more vested part of the community down the line.
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 08 2016 17:30
@voor welcome. We look forward to your participation!
checketts
@checketts
Apr 08 2016 19:20
@spencergibb I'm trying to update logging properties other than logging.level (enable/disable console logging) via config server. Any idea if that is supported?
I see there is a whole initializeSystem in the LoggingApplicationInitializer, but that isn't exercized the way the LoggingRebinder is
mike sarver
@mikesarver
Apr 08 2016 19:26
I have a sample project using sleuth and Hystrix with TraceCommand. I noticed that if TraceCommand is created in a new thread, then tracer.getCurrentSpan() does not have the correct span. To solve this issue I added a constructor to TraceCommand with the parentSpan. The downside is now I will have to pass around the incoming parentSpan.
Does this sound like a resonable request?
checketts
@checketts
Apr 08 2016 19:35

@spencergibb It looks almost like I'll need to do something like:

LoggingSystem system = LoggingSystem.get(LoggingSystem.class.getClassLoader());
system.initialize(new LoggingInitializationContext((ConfigurableEnvironment) applicationContext.getEnvironment()), null, null);

in my refresh endpoint.

Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 08 2016 19:42
@mikesarver there is a room specific to sleuth (only one so far) https://gitter.im/spring-cloud/spring-cloud-sleuth
mike sarver
@mikesarver
Apr 08 2016 19:43
sorry, i clicked on the wrong room. i was trying to get current on both. i will repost in the correct room.
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 08 2016 19:43
NP
@checketts yeah, not supported by default
your solution looks reasonable.
checketts
@checketts
Apr 08 2016 19:45
Thanks for the feedback
David Welch
@dwelch2344
Apr 08 2016 22:02
Woot! Ended up writing a MessageSource that delegates to a MessageFeign and all our projects are hitting it just fine and dandy. Just need to figure out a cacheing strategy and we're golden
Spencer Gibb
@spencergibb
Apr 08 2016 22:10
wow, cool. Where are you storing them?