These are chat archives for spyder-ide/public

3rd
Sep 2018
Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:33
I can't use any of the keyboard shortcuts because it is impossible to configure the touch bar on new macs to have function keys while spyder is running (when launched from Anaconda-Navigator)
I have some experience programming iOS apps among other things, and could possibly try adding touch bar support, but I'm afraid of working with open source project developers, so I would need a little encouragement and direction to find the right way to contribute.
Any advice?
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:36
@SaraTansey_twitter I'm on Windows and don't immediate access to that model to test for you, but just to make sure, pressing Fn doesn't display the function keys?
Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:37
Correct. Pressing "Fn" causes more options to show, but they are brightness and music controls, not actual function keys.
I've submitted to feedback reports with Apple, but don't like my chances of getting what I want that way.
two*
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:39
Strange...
You also couldn't add the python executable in the Anaconda environment you are launching Spyder from to the last under System Prefs > Shortcuts > Function Keys?
Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:41
Unfortunately, Spyder does not appear in that list, and worse yet, I added Anaconda using that list, and the setting appears to be ignored, even after restarting Anaconda.
Do you accept open source contributions? I had assumed that Spyder was open source, but now it looks like it probably isn't.
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:42

Unfortunately, Spyder does not appear in that list

This is because Spyder isn't a standalone binary, but is instead executed by the Python interpreter in the Python environment its installed under, which I why I suggested you navigate to the latter, if that's possible via the dialog.

Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:43
The list in the Dialog does not include "Python" or "Spyder". Only "Anaconda-Navigator".
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:43

I added Anaconda using that list

You mean Anaconda Navigator? That won't really do much ,as you found—its just a GUI frontend for conda that the Spyder team originally wrote

Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:43
I see.
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:43

Okay, so you can't navigate to binaries in the file system? Just a list of applications?

Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:44
Correct.
And I can't configure the shortcut for the "Run file" button in Spyder. It doesn't appear in the list of configurable shorcuts.
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:45

Spyder is absolutely open source (MIT License), and we welcome any and all contributions! In fact, it is the only 100% community-developed data science IDE for Python, coded and funded entirely by volunteer developers and community members just like you.

Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:46
Cool. Can you link me to the place where the open source developers coordinate their work/ instructions for getting started?
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:49

No worries; we're always glad to help new people get started and give them tips and pointers, and as the newest member of the project myself, I found my fellow developers to be some of the nicest and most helpful people out there; Spyder is kind of my family now :) I am also in the process of adding a written code of conduct, etc. to formalize this. If you have any specific concerns, feel free to DM me or Carlos.

Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:50
Do you just use https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder to coordinate all your work? or is there a mailing list or something?
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:51

Spyder is developed on our Github, and our Readme, Contributing Guide and Development Wiki are great resources to get started.

Sara Tansey
@SaraTansey_twitter
Sep 03 2018 22:52
Perfect. Thank you.
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 22:54

Mostly, and you can always chat with us here if you have questions.

CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Sep 03 2018 23:01
@SaraTansey_twitter I'm honestly not sure if you'll be able to fix this problem from the Spyder side, but we certainly are glad you're willing to try; we can use all the help we can get (especially on the Mac, which most of our developers don't have access to) since we have a user base and community on the order of the projects like Jupyter and are the only viable (free/open-source) data science IDE for Python right now, but only have a small fraction of the funding and development resources those projects have access to right now since he don't have big corporate sponsors.