These are chat archives for spyder-ide/public

Dec 2018
Old Guy in the Club
@OldGuyInTheClub
Dec 13 2018 06:09
There's a discussion above that refers to an improved API for extensions in v4. I'm discussing Spyder 3 and 4 with coworkers who use python. Will legacy plugins work in the v4 architecture or will they need to be rewritten?
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Dec 13 2018 06:22
I presume so, but I don't think it would be too extensive and we are looking at securing funding to work further on those core plugins. @ccordoba12 would be able to speak more authoritatively on that.
harmohit11
@harmohit11
Dec 13 2018 06:41
Can I use H2O on spyder?
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Dec 13 2018 07:57
@harmohit11 You can use Spyder with any Python packages you have installed in your chosen environment, just like any other editor or IDE. Check out our guide to managing packages and environments with Spyder for more details.
harmohit11
@harmohit11
Dec 13 2018 09:08
@CAM-Gerlach I can use nost functionalities of H2O but I can not see the h2o dataframe..in other words, I can not use simple show() command on an h2o data frame.
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Dec 13 2018 09:10
@harmohit11 What is the expected result of the show() command? I.e. what exactly is it supposed to do/display?
harmohit11
@harmohit11
Dec 13 2018 09:15
@CAM-Gerlach when I am working on data. I either use pandas dataframes or h2o dataframes (pandas and h2o are libraries in python) to load data from a csv/txt file. With show() command, I get to see a sample of the dataframe(usually top 10-20 rows). This command is working fine in pandas but not in h2o. In h2o it is just displaying blank space(no error).
@CAM-Gerlach this is working fine in Jupyter though!
André Lovo
@lovoandre_twitter
Dec 13 2018 12:37
@CAM-Gerlach @CAM-Gerlach Hi! Answering your questions below:What specific behavior are you experiencing when attempting to launch Spyder?
I just wait and nothing happened.
What exact error messages?
No error message.
How are you launching it (Shortcut, Navigator, Anaconda prompt?)
I'm trying open by Anaconda navigator.
What version of Anaconda, Python and Spyder are you using?
Anaconda 1.7.2
What versions of Qt/PyQt?
PyQt5 5.9.2
QtPy 1.5.2
But I also, have installed before: PyCharm 2018.3 and NetBeans IDE 8.2
Nikolaj Høj
@Fiskefrans_twitter
Dec 13 2018 15:27
Hey fellas.. i cant get Python installed ? I installed Anaconda is now lacking what to do..
Pythonw: "This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in"".
Reinstalling the aplication may fix this problem.
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Dec 13 2018 16:57
@harmohit11 Try the show() command in QtConsole (launch from Navigator or with jupyter qtconsole at the Anaconda prompt/command line), and also try it at a plain IPython prompt (ipython at the command line). If it doesn't work there, the problem isn't with Spyder but either a bug with one of those two, or my guess is that show() may be trying to use Jupyter Notebook-specific output facilities (HTML/CSS/JS) rather than standard, interoperable Python ones.
CAM Gerlach
@CAM-Gerlach
Dec 13 2018 17:04

@lovoandre_twitter Thanks for your detailed response!

I'm trying open by Anaconda navigator.

Okay, then the problem could be with Navigator, Spyder or something else. On Windows, its much faster to launch Spyder via the start menu shortcut (just tap Win, type a few characters of the time and press Enter). For this case though I recommend launching it via Anaconda prompt (type spyder) so you'll see any error output more easily. If you still don't see anything, type set SPYDER_DEBUG=3 and try again.

What version of Anaconda, Python and Spyder are you using?

Anaconda 1.7.2

That's not your Anaconda version; that's just your version of the Navigator helper. The version number (e.g. 5.3.0) was part of the downloaded package, or can be found with conda list anaconda in the Anaconda prompt, if you haven't changed the versions of default packages in the base environment. Also, please answer the other two questions.

What versions of Qt/PyQt?

PyQt5 5.9.2
QtPy 1.5.2

You didn't state your actual Qt version, but I assume its 5.9.6. If not, try upgrading to that first (conda update qt). If that doesn't fix it or you already have it, try conda install pyqt=5.6 and see if that fixes it (after you perform the steps discussed above, so we can better understand the problem). Thanks!

@Fiskefrans_twitter To launch Spyder with Anaconda, use the shortcut automatically installed in your start menu (if on Windows), Anaconda Navigator, or from the Anaconda Prompt (if on Windows)/the command line/Terminal (otherwise) type spyder.
Carlos Cordoba
@ccordoba12
Dec 13 2018 18:05

@OldGuyInTheClub, Spyder 3 doesn't have a public API and we did a big refactoring on Spyder 4. So we can't assure backwards compatibility, but the biggest changes would be related to imports in different places