These are chat archives for symengine/symengine

22nd
Mar 2016
Srajan Garg
@srajangarg
Mar 22 2016 13:05
@isuruf @certik @Sumith1896 and other mentors, I have posted a draft proposal on Google's website. Please have a look and provide necessary feedback (on gitter itself, or by editing this wiki). I also have some comments/questions in the proposal, which I hope you can answer. Thanks!
Isuru Fernando
@isuruf
Mar 22 2016 13:30
@srajangarg, I went through your proposal. One thing that we have to think about is whether we want to spend time on polynomials with integer or rational coefficients. I feel that this should be left for a specialized polynomial library and not SymEngine. Instead it would be good if flint or piranha is used. @certik, what do you think?
Sumith Kulal
@Sumith1896
Mar 22 2016 13:50
I have not played with flint. We can have an optional Piranha interface but we do not want to hard depend on Piranha. @isuruf Is the idea to use Piranha and build polynomial algorithms like gcd etc on top of it?
Kunal Singh
@kunal-iitkgp
Mar 22 2016 15:00
@isuruf can you explain this Create a symbolic link from my git repo to original install directory part ?
parthparashar1647
@parthparashar1647
Mar 22 2016 15:08
@isuruf please check the changes i have made
i have distributed it week wise
parthparashar1647
@parthparashar1647
Mar 22 2016 15:16
@Sumith1896 @certik @abinashmeher999 i am Parth Parashar can you look and provide necessary feedback
Isuru Fernando
@isuruf
Mar 22 2016 16:06
@Sumith1896, yes, we don't have to hard depend on Piranha. I'm saying we don't have to worry too much about the performance of the generic implementation, because it'll at best match the specialised library and most often will be slower. Just an idea
@kunal-iitkgp. git repo is at ~/projects/SymEngine.jl
So I do ln -s ~/projects/SymEngine.jl ~/.julia/v0.4/SymEngine
parthparashar1647
@parthparashar1647
Mar 22 2016 16:23
any suggestions
Sumith Kulal
@Sumith1896
Mar 22 2016 17:10
@isuruf Agreed
Akash Trehan
@CodeMaxx
Mar 22 2016 17:42
@isuruf These warnings need to be removed I guess.
Nishant Nikhil
@nishnik
Mar 22 2016 17:44

@isuruf @Sumith1896 @certik
Sympy has developed Finite fields in 2009-2011, and there are no issues regarding it.
From what I understand of SymEngine (after talking to Harsh regarding it), is we need to port the core of Sympy into it, specifically the algorithms which are used extensively, have matured and have no recent issues. (Actually during my talk with Harsh, the idea of porting finite field popped up.)
Now porting finite fields will help by:

• Providing tools for factorization. (Actually we convert a polynomial ring into a finite field of suitable domain(where the polynomial is square free). Do factorization using Cantor-Zassenhaus's or any other algorithms (Berlekamp, Shoup-Kaltofen-Gathen), do lifting and then return the result.
  • This will help further in solveset(still a long way to go there).
  • Help in number theory (Chinese Remainder Theorem)

Now, before implementing this, I will need to know your comments on this and its utilitarian aspects when it comes to SymEngine.

Isuru Fernando
@isuruf
Mar 22 2016 17:44
@CodeMaxx, If I remember correctly, I tried to remove the warning did you mean struct here by changing to struct, but then it gave did you mean class here.
You can take a look at it and see if it is possible to make the warning go away
Akash Trehan
@CodeMaxx
Mar 22 2016 17:47
@isuruf Ok, I’ll try to get rid of it. Later though, currently working on my proposal(Already late)
Charles Chen
@chenchfort
Mar 22 2016 17:47
@isuruf Can you review #868
Charles Chen
@chenchfort
Mar 22 2016 21:03
I updated Xcode today (now regret), which probably updated clang, and now I’m getting pages and pages of these warning: all paths through this function will call itself [-Winfinite-recursion] and warning: moving a temporary object prevents copy elision [-Wpessimizing-move]. Can we get these warnings suppressed?
Srajan Garg
@srajangarg
Mar 22 2016 21:55
@isuruf regarding symengine/symengine#866, I've made some progress. I just wanted to know how to work with Travis-CI. I need to run sudo apt-get install clang-format-3.7 on linux systems, while
brew install clang-format on Mac OS. I really can't verify it on my own repository. Also, I need to add a small script to travis which actually checks the code formatting using clang-format-3.7 comand on linux and clang-format command on Mac OS. How do I go about introducing these changes in all the Travis builds?
Akash Trehan
@CodeMaxx
Mar 22 2016 21:56
@srajangarg see bin/install_travis.sh
Srajan Garg
@srajangarg
Mar 22 2016 21:59
I know the file, I am not familiar with it's workings, especially how they differ with .travis.yml