These are chat archives for weaverbel/LibraryCarpentry

Apr 2017
Thomas Guignard
@timtomch
Apr 11 2017 00:36
@weaverbel @ostephens that's an interesting question. To me, scraping is always a last resort. If there is an API, then use the API, and use a function to parse the returned JSON or XML. Maybe I should make this clearer in the intro?
Ryan Johnson
@remerjohnson
Apr 11 2017 03:25
Totally agree that scraping is a last resort
James Baker
@drjwbaker
Apr 11 2017 06:38

Date: 11 April 2017 (next Tuesday)
Time: 11:00:00 (Timezone: Europe/Amsterdam)
Can make it: Belinda Weaver, Beth Hellen, James B, Jez, Mateusz Kuzak, Owen Stephens
Can't make it: Brenda Moon, Carmi, Mark Laufersweiler

Bump. @c-martinez: still going for Skype?

Mateusz Kuzak
@mkuzak
Apr 11 2017 08:39
@drjwbaker yes, we're meeting in 20 minutes are you going to join?
James Baker
@drjwbaker
Apr 11 2017 08:47
I am. More for info than to offer any specific comments I expect!
Jez Cope
@jezcope
Apr 11 2017 08:54
I'm in, but I'll be using Skype for Linux beta for the first time so don't know how well it will work! I'll switch to my iPad in the event of problems.
Mateusz Kuzak
@mkuzak
Apr 11 2017 08:55
we can do hangouts if skype fails
@jezcope I'm curious how your workshop went
Mateusz Kuzak
@mkuzak
Apr 11 2017 09:11
@weaverbel we're in the call, you're joining?
Belinda Weaver
@weaverbel
Apr 11 2017 09:35
Is the call over? Just got home.
Owen Stephens
@ostephens
Apr 11 2017 09:35
@weaverbel no - still going
Belinda Weaver
@weaverbel
Apr 11 2017 09:35
how do I join?
James Baker
@drjwbaker
Apr 11 2017 11:15
We had a great chat this morning about the Python lesson. Thanks to all that could make it. As promised, I've opened an issue here data-lessons/library-python#38 to begin coordinating the work on this lesson during the Sprint. First thing we need is someone to volunteer to take the lead on this. @weaverbel put up @richyvk's hand in his absence, though Richard may wish to put it down again :)
Juliane Schneider
@JulianeS_twitter
Apr 11 2017 14:11
Hey there! I'm prepping to teach the Boston LC workshop with Belinda, and I remember that the last time I taught LC the biggest request I got was an exercise for regex where the participants could actually use regex against a file. Currently the lesson is whiteboard/pen and paper work, but I want to add an exercise that they can do on their own that uses an editor. I'm considering tool what to recommend and am leaning towards Atom because unlike Notepad, it works for most OS types. Any other suggestions?
James Baker
@drjwbaker
Apr 11 2017 14:21
Sounds GREAT. But why not show that regex is super cross platform, so can work in a text editor, LibreOffice, Microsoft Word, et cetera? So, just have a text document that they can open in their default software as well as stuff like Atom. There is something compelling about learning something that changes your use of a simple software tool you use everyday.
Juliane Schneider
@JulianeS_twitter
Apr 11 2017 14:23
Excellent point! Off to find some good regex-y text....
James Baker
@drjwbaker
Apr 11 2017 14:25
Perhaps an annual report from a national library, a research paper (because of the way that citations are a pattern), and/or the spreadsheets we use in the Shell or Refine lessons?
Juliane Schneider
@JulianeS_twitter
Apr 11 2017 14:26
Yeah, an annual report might be an interesting example.
Or the Force11 FAIR data guiding principles that are currently open for comment....
Cam Macdonell
@cmacdonell
Apr 11 2017 14:40
I saw the tweet about the next LibCarp workshop in South Africa, that is great news @erikamias!